Assassin’s Creed to take gap year in 2019

0
2013

Ubisoft has confirmed that there will be no major release in its Assassin’s Creed franchise in 2019. 

Speaking to GameSpot at Gamescom, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said: “On Assassin’s, we had a game [in 2017] and we have one this year, but we are not going to have a full-fledged Assassin’s next year. It’s just because the team were working separately, so we have two games now, one year after the other. But next year you’re not going to have a fully fledged one.”

Guillemot added that 2019 won’t see a spin-off Assassin’s Creed, either: “What you’ll have is lots of content coming on [Assassin’s Creed Odyssey]. The team really want to give, on a regular basis, some new possibilities for play, so when you get [Odyssey] this year, you’re going to get in for a couple of years, actually.”

Last year’s Assassin’s Creed: Origins functioned as a franchise-reboot which also allowed the franchise to escape its annual-iteration rat-race (the previous major Assassin’s Creed release, Syndicate, came out in 2015). Guillemot said the decision: “Gave the team the possibility to really bring what they wanted to. The community has been responding very well to it and when I see what we are bringing with Odyssey I know that the community that got back in with Origins will be amazed.”

Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey is due to launch on October 5 for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. For more information, keep an eye on its website.