The scenic island railway that traverses the hills of Rügen between Stralsund and Sassnitz has arrived for Train Simulator.
The 1860s, iron rails were rapidly spreading throughout Germany, including those of the Angermünde–Stralsund railway which was built to shorten journey times between the north of the country and Sweden. There was however an opportunity to get rails even closer to the Baltic border, the island of Rügen.
It would not be until 1883 when a railway on Rügen soil was built. It originally stretched as far as Bergen auf Rügen to begin with, and was extended 8 years later to reach the northern coast of the island at Sassnitz. At this point however, there was no fixed crossing with the mainland, instead, the body of water known as the Strelasund was traversed by ferry.
Traffic steadily grew in popularity as Germany and Sweden were ever closer linked. Mail would cross borders via Rügen faster than ever before, and eventually, a railway ferry was established between the two countries to bring them even closer together. The success of the ferry urged a greater connection to the mainland, and so in the 1930s a bridge was built over the Strelasund.
It wasn’t just Sassnitz and Sweden that benefitted from the island railway, the coastal town of Binz also found itself served by a single track branch line from Lietzow, and today serves as an equally important destination with every other train terminating there.
Following electrification, and the fall of the iron curtain, Rügen has become something of a holiday resort and has been referred to as “Brighton for Berliners” by those who have reviewed its Baltic coastline; and what better way to go on a summer holiday than by scenic rail!
Inselbahn: Stralsund – Sassnitz brings both passenger and freight flavours of island rail operations to life!
A total of 7 engaging Career scenarios are included for the Inselbahn: Stralsund – Sassnitz, as well as a trio of Railfan Mode scenarios.
- (143) 1. On The Double
- (143) 2. An Evening Service
- (143) 3. Bring Your Umbrella!
- (120) 4. Out of the Big Station
- (143) 5. Frosty Challenge
- (155) 6. Northbound Freight
- (155) 7. Important Cargo
- (Railfan Mode) Bergen auf Rügen
- (Railfan Mode) Lietzow
- (Railfan Mode) Altefähr
More scenarios are available on the Steam Workshop online and in-game. Train Simulator’s Steam Workshop scenarios are free and easy to download, adding many more hours of exciting gameplay. With scenarios being added daily, why don’t you check it out now!
- 68 km (42 mile) route from Stralsund to Sassnitz and Ostseebad Binz
- DB BR 120 in DB Traffic Red livery
- DB BR 155 in DB Traffic Red livery
- DB BR 143 in Clean, Weathered and Heavily Weathered DB Traffic Red livery
- DoppelStock (DoSto) vehicles & control car in Clean, Weathered and Heavily Weathered DB Regio livery
- ARkimbz, Avmz & Bmpz coaches in DB Intercity livery
- Eanos x052, Kkt & Ktmm Hopper Wagons in DB livery
- Shimmns & Habbins Wagons in various liveries
- SGGRSS-B Container Wagons in various liveries
- Notable locations such as:
- Strelasund Crossing
- The Kleiner Jasmunder Bodden at Lietzow
- Sassnitz-Mukran Goods Yard
- 7 Career Scenarios
- 3 Railfan Mode Scenarios
- Quick Drive Compatible
- Download size: 866 MB