It really looks as though Infinity Ward are putting some time and effort into Call of Duty’s single player mode this time around. Two new game modes have been confirmed via the Activision Blog The first of which is called Specialist mode and will ramp up the games difficulty and make the game feel more realistic.
Here is the official word from Activision on what to expect from Specialist mode:
- You can only heal with Nano Shots, there is no health regeneration in this mode.
- Helmets are your only protection from headshots. They will take permanent damage and will need to be replaced.
- Both Nano Shots and helmets take up equipment slots, so remember to equip them in your loadout on the Retribution before each level.
- Master the lean from behind cover mechanic, which will be critical for your survival. Approach the edge of cover while standing or crouching, and aim down sights when you see a chevron appear on the side of your crosshairs. You will auto-pop from behind cover as you ADS.
- If you get shot in the legs, it will impact your movement. If you get shot in either arm, it will impact your ability to use equipment or aim down sights. Note: Your weapon can be shot out of your hands.
Once you have beaten Specialist mode (which looks like no easy feat in itself) you will unlock YOLO mode. As the name suggests you will only live once, as you are only given one life thought the entirety of the games campaign. It looks like Infinity Ward have taken a leaf from Id Software’s book, as this year’s DOOM had a similar permadeath mode called Ultra Nightmare Difficulty.
Will you be honing your COD skills and trying Specialist and YOLO modes?