HTC has unveiled no fewer than eight Ready Player One-related “VR experiences” for its Vive headset.
The company announced the bonanza for fans of Steven Spielberg’s videogames-inspired film — due to hit cinemas on March 29 — at the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas. Details can be found here on the HTC Vive blog. HTC said: “All of the content, which has been created by various developers, is free to download from Steam or Vive’s exclusive content platform, Viveport. There are arcade shooters, remakes of old classics, musical experiences and more.”
The Vive Ready player One experiences are:
- Battle for the Oasis: a shooter developed by Steel Wool Studios
- Rise of the Gunters: another shooter playable by up to three people and developed by Drifter Entertainment
- Gauntlet: a dungeon-crawler made by Directive Games
- Smash: a homage to 80s arcade games made by 2 Bears Studio
- Fracture: a Breakout-inspired effort also by 2 Bears Studio
- Aech’s Garage: a VR evocation of an area from the film, developed by Sansar
- The Distracted Globe Experience: another VR evocation of a dance-club scene in the film, developed by TheWaveVR
- Ready Player One Avatar Creator: a utility develop by Morph3D that lets you create your own Ready Player One persona
Joel Breton, general manager of Vive Studios, said: “’Ready Player One’ has inspired both the current and future state of the VR industry, and Vive is in a unique position to deliver on the promise of VR today. We’ve brought together a group of our favourite developers to bring content inspired by ‘Ready Player One’ to life in a way that resonates with audiences long after they have left the theatre.”
HTC hasn’t said exactly when the Ready Player One content will be available to download from Viveport and Steam, but promises it: “Before the film’s March 29, 2018, release.” Keep your eye on the Vive blog for more information.