The upcoming Gears 5 will feature at least one level that will dwarf anything in the Gears series so far, according to developers The Coalition. Studio head Rod Fergusson dropped a load of information about Gears 5 during a PAX panel over the weekend, including the titbit that a level in Gears 5 will be fifty times bigger than anything seen in a Gears game.
You can watch the whole panel as it was streamed via YouTube:
But here’s the larger points which Rod Fergusson unveiled:
- Gears 5 will have the biggest campaign The Coalition has ever built.
- A level in Act 3 will be fifty times larger than a normal Gears level.
- Horde mode will be the ‘deepest ever’.
- Versus mode has eleven different modes.
- The built-in map creator will be updated after launch to allow players to build levels for Horde and Versus modes.
- The Coalition plans to release new content weekly after launch.
- Jack, a companion bot, will add RPG elements to the game, letting players control the pace of combat with traps, a cloak, heals, and more.
- Players will have the choice over when to initiate combat instead of having combat forced on the player. Jack’s cloak will help with this.
- The Skiff will let players explore more and control the pace of the game.
- Gears Allies increases rewards by playing with friends over time increasing your ‘affinity’.
- There will be two sides to the Gears 5 story with one focussing on Kate and what she learned during Gears of War 4.
- The other side will revolve around war returning to Sera, with the player attempting to rebuild the Hammer of Dawn.
You can see the full list of what was in the PAX panel over on Twinfinite.
Gears 5 will launch on Xbox One and PC on September the 10th, with subscribers to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate getting access a full four days early.