The Game Awards 2017 happened last night, the event where the games industry gathered in Los Angeles to clap each other on the back, give handshakes, and do speeches that maybe should’ve been checked before they went out:
— The Game Awards (@thegameawards) December 8, 2017
But forget that, we’re here for the GAMES! First up, here’s the awards categories and what won in each one:
The Game Awards 2017 – Winners
- Game Of The Year: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Best Action Game: Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
- Best Action/Adventure Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Best Roleplaying Game: Persona 5
- Best Fighting Game: Injustice 2
- Best Strategy Game: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Best Family Game: Super Mario Odyssey
- Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Motorsport 7
- Best Esports Game: Overwatch
- Most Anticipated Game: The Last Of Us Part 2
- Best Ongoing Game: Overwatch
- Best Independent Game: Cuphead
- Best Indie Debut Game: Cuphead
- Best Mobile Game: Monument Valley 2
- Best Handheld Game: Metroid: Samus Returns
- Best VR/AR Game: Resident Evil 7
- Best Game Direction: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Best Narrative: What Remains of Edith Finch
- Best Art Direction: Cuphead
- Best Score/Music: NieR: Automata
- Best Audio Design: Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- Best Performance: Melina Juergens, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- Games for Impact: Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- Student Game Award: Level Squared (Kip Brennan, Stephen Scoglio, Dane Perry Svendsen / Swinburne University)
- Chinese Fan Game Award: jx3 HD
- Trending Gamer: Guy Beahm (“Dr. Disrespect”)
- Best Esports Player: Lee Sang-hyeok “Faker” (SK Telecom 1, League of Legends)
- Best Esports Team: Cloud 9
- Industry Icon Award: Carol Shaw
Congrats to all the winners!
But that’s not all The Game Awards has, there’s also TRAILERS for things, and announcements, and teasers, and stuff to get you excited about v i d e o g a m e s.
Want to see ’em? Here they are!
Trailers and Announcements
World War Z
There’s a game based off the World War Z property on its way. It looks more action packed than the book is, so probably inspired by the film and the upcoming World War Z 2 (which needs a better name, surely).
Job Simulator was the surprise hit of the early VR wave, and Owlchemy Labs are following that up with Vacation Simulator, a 100% accurate look at being on holiday. Coming to VR near you in 2018.
Something by From Software
From Software, creators of the Souls series and Bloodborne, are now doing. Something. It’s a new project so it probably isn’t Bloodborne 2, despite the ichor-filled teaser, but you never know. King’s Field V?
In the Valley of Gods
From the creators of Firewatch, this is a tomby explory game where you and a companion go for a look into some Egyptian crypts. Coming 2019.
The Champions’ Ballad – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
The second expansion / DLC for Breath of the Wild is out now! Go play it, what are you looking at this for?
Soul Calibur VI
Swords, fighting, boob physics, it’ll all be coming to you in 2018!
Bayonetta 1+2 On Switch
They’re coming to Switch, February 16, 2018!
Bayonetta 3 Exclusive to Switch
That’s right, Bayonetta’s back, and she’ll only be on the Switch. The mini console is looking more and more essential every day. No release date, meaning you’ve got time to save up.
We Still Don’t Really Know What Death Stranding Is
There’s a lot going on in this Death Stranding trailer but we still don’t really have any idea about even what kind of game it is. Come on Kojima, get off yer holiday and show us some GAME.
A Way Out
We got to see a bit more of co-op prison escape game A Way Out, the followup from the Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons creators, and heard a LOT more from its director.
PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS Desert Map
The followup from Crows Crows Crows, creators of Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist, and featuring William Pugh who worked on The Stanley Parable, is coming to PSVR on December the 19th.
Fade To Silence
The new post-apocalyptic survival game from THQ Nordic will be entering early access on the 14th of December.
Fortnite: Battle Royal – 50 v 50
Fortnite, Epic’s survival / build ’em up / battle royale game will be getting a 50 v 50 game mode.
GTFO, the new game from Payday devs Overkill Software, got a bit more footage of in-game shootery!
Dreams got a bit more info out there too, showing off a bit more of the fabulous, dreamlike, creative world that MediaMolecule is building.
So that’s it! Overall it was a decent show, there was no sign of Joel McHale or robots with men’s shavers for heads, so that’s an improvement right?
Anyway, thanks Geoff, we’ll see you next year!